Sunday, January 27, 2013

Act II Shameless US (Spec Script) - "Welcome to the Machine"


Act II

INT. ZACK’S BEDROOM - EARLY MORNING
Zack lies awake in bed next to Ian who stirs and awakens.  

Zack
Hey, how’s it going?

Ian
Good.  How long have you been awake?

Zack
Not long, I couldn’t sleep much.  Do you want breakfast?

Ian
I’m not much of a breakfast person.  What time is it?

Zack
Not even six o’clock.

Ian
Hmm, well I have to get going.  I have work today and I need to get back to my place to get some fresh clothes.  Is your mother home yet?

Zack
She’s not due back until after seven.

Ian begins to get up and sees Zack is contemplative.

Ian
What’s wrong?

Zack
Do you know that crazy group that says they’re Christians and they go around protesting funerals and things?  Well they’re coming to town tomorrow and I was just thinking I wished I had the balls to do something about it.

Ian
You should protest.

Zack
I will if you will.

Ian laughs.

Zack
No really, we should do it.

INT. GALLAGHER KITCHEN - LATER THAT MORNING

Carl sits at the table in his pajamas drawing a Rube Goldberg influenced machine on a piece of paper though he already has several others completed and in a pile.  The previous one ends with a cartoon looking person in an electric chair being shocked.

The rest of the kitchen is in its usual chaos as everyone else is getting ready.  Debbie sits with a ventriloquist’s dummy practicing trying to make it speak without moving her lips.  Fiona is keeping them in motion to get prepared when she sees Carl’s drawing.

Fiona
Nice drawing Carl but you can’t take the one where the guy gets electrocuted to school.  They’ll think you’re a nut.

Carl
I know that’s why I’m drawing a new one.

Fiona
You’re not even dressed.  Debbie would you take over drawing his picture so he can get dressed?

Debbie
Yeah, if you take me to Debbie’s Cupcakes after school.

Fiona
What’s that?

Debbie
I saw it this weekend.  It’s perfect.  It’s cupcakes and it has my name on it.

Fiona
We’ll see.  Carl go get dressed.  And Debbie make sure this one doesn’t end with someone dying.  

Frank enters the house through the kitchen door still partially drunk from the night before and singing a song.

Ian enters through the front of the house and seeing everyone else he sneaks upstairs to change clothes.

Lip enters the kitchen and spots the ventriloquist’s dummy.  He moves about the kitchen along with everyone else as he hears Frank singing.

Lip
(to Fiona)
What’s with him?

Fiona
He came in like that, looks like he bit the hair of the dog early.

Lip 
Have you noticed how the dummy’s eyes follow you around the kitchen?

Debbie
He’s for my talent contest later today.

Fiona
I didn’t notice.  Frank why are you singing?

Frank
I was just trying to remember the commercial to that bank.

Fiona 
What bank?

Ian enters in new clothes and looking pleased with himself.

Frank
You know the Sagan Bank.  I was talking to two guys last night who said they wanted to rob it.  And I was just trying to remember the jingle they used to have.  You know I think someone opened a bank there for one of you kids.  If I could only remember who?

Fiona
You’re remembering now?

Ian
It’s called state-dependent learning.

Frank
Well, I’d say get your money out soon.  Although they didn’t seem that serious about it.

Lip
The money is FDIC insured.

Frank
Well, okay then. No one remembers who? I'm tired.

Fiona
Not here.  You have your own house for that.

Frank
Right.

Fiona
Ian would you make sure Carl and Debbie make it to the bus on time.  We’re running late.

Ian
Yeah sure, I’m headed out.

Ian helps them in their last actions then ushers them out of the house.  Lip is also getting ready and walks out with them.  

EXT. - ON WAY TO BUS - MORNING
Lip and Ian have fallen back to talk as Debbie and Carl are walking.

Lip
Late night?

Ian
I met a community college student.  He told me all about classes.

Lip
I’m sure he did.

Ian
Hey Lip.  It's, kind of weird--

Lip
You can tell me.

Ian
While you were fucking a girl did she ever cry?

Lip
Did you cry?  Did he cry?  He cried didn’t he?

Ian
It’s never happened before this.

Lip
I’ve heard of guys crying after, you know, climax, but still I thought it was a joke.  Was he a virgin?

Ian
I don’t think so.  

Lip
You were.  And he was.  I mean isn’t it sometimes painful?

Ian
Not like that.

Lip shrugs his shoulders and begins to walk in a different direction.

Ian
Hey, the bus?

Lip
I didn’t say I’d get them there.  And besides I have something else to do.


No comments:

Post a Comment